Monday, December 31, 2007

New Years Eve

I've never really cared much for New Years Eve, except when I was with my kids. We'd make simple finger foods, watch movies, play games, and laugh alot, till we'd watch the ball drop on television. I'd let them have champaigne, but only a couple of swallows till they were well into double digits.

The last few years, I've spent the evening with my room mate, as if it were any other night except for maybe a few cocktails, usually missing the turn of midnight altogether. No one asks me out, no one invites me to parties, I will not go out alone this night, and driving on Amateur Night is not something I'll do without great cause, even stone cold sober.

It's the dawn of a new year, a fresh start, they tell me. How nice an idea, if it were only true. I don't know anyone who's actually held to a resolution, done all that they planned, wanted to, or hoped for. I never make resolutions, and my goals and dreams are what they are, no matter the day of year. I try to keep my expectations reasonable and attainable.

This new year, I will plod along, as I have for awhile now, trying to enjoy life in general, being myself, and trying to attain a semblance of at least contentment, if not happiness.
I wish all my friends and family the very best, and will do what I can to help make that happen, as I always do.

Happy New Year

No comments: