Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dogs, Big Dogs

I caught a bit of the Westminster Dog Show this evening.
I want a big dog. Well, a pony that looks and acts like a dog, really.
I've gotten it into my head to get a really REALLY big dog: I want a Mastiff.
I'm not a large person, really.. quite average, at 5'5", medium build. I want a dog that rivals my own weight. I want a goofy, floppy footed, bulky, dog.
I don't understand those who like the little, ankle biting yappy little bitches that fit in a purse. Why have a dog at all? Why not a cat, a ferret, or even a rat, gerbil, or guinea pig if you want a small animal?
I find you learn a lot about people by the animals they have, or don't.
I don't really know what it says about me that I have 2 cats, 2 snakes, a bearded dragon, and want more of all three types of animals, plus one really really big dog. I'd have dozens of animals, if I had the time, patience, and space, though.
I've never been a dog person, and have only had one of my own in my whole life. She was late middle aged when I got her, and we got along famously. She was my kind of people. Simone was a rough coated Collie- a Lassie. She hated little dogs, too. She'd lay on my feet, let me brush her, and hide in the bathtub when it thundered. She was quite cat-like, really... probably why we got along so well. I'd have a dozen dogs, too, if they were all like Simone. She died of old age a couple years ago, while in the care of my ex and two girls. I still miss her.
Okay.. that's my puff piece for the month!
I'll find something more interesting, less introspective, and downright ornery to write about later. I'm too tired tonight.

No comments: